Monday, November 30, 2015

Thanksgiving Means Something Different to Marketers

Since Thanksgiving occurred this past Thursday I found this blog post quite relevant. On Tuesday, I was eager to get home to my family and spend a relaxing weekend stuffing my face with turkey and mashed potatoes. I know in the corporate world, many firms closed down for the entire weekend allowing for employees to spend the holiday with friends and loved ones. So, Thursday I was sitting on my couch watching the annual Macy's Day Parade. While watching it, I could not help but think that this was a huge, huge marketing event. So, when I say Thanksgiving means something different to marketers, in a way, it does. Thanksgiving brings upon one of the best marketing opportunities through the Macy's Day Parade.

I found it quite a coincidence that as I watched the parade I thought of all the marketing and advertising involved because I found an article on AdWeek titled: "Why Advertisers Are So Eager for This Year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: NBC
sees stronger demand than ever." It seems as if the parade is the perfect way for brands to advertise since Black Friday begins the next day and what better way to market some deals than a parade that receives an average of 22.6 million viewers each year? Even Dan Lovinger, president of entertainment ad sales at NBCUniversal, said, "It's a great multigenerational viewing experience—you've got families watching in what's about as wholesome an environment as possible, and ultimately what that leads to is superior advertiser demand."

However, what I notice most about the parade, and the article touches upon this, is that families are not necessarily sitting down from 9:00 a.m. to noon watching the parade. They are coming in and out, going to and from the kitchen cooking, while watching the parade. So, how is this parade deemed as an effective marketing media outlet? Well, it is the experience. The article discusses how watching the parade is almost just as much of tradition as cooking the turkey. The Macy's Day Parade has become an American Tradition that produces consistent viewers and what do all advertisers love? Consistent ratings they can depend on, as said by AdWeek.

So, what kind of products are advertised during the American Tradition? While I watched, I saw a range of different products from retail, automotive, wireless, television shows, etc. I mentioned how the parade gets consistent viewers, but that does not even include the thousands of people who physically attend the parade in New York City. Products, ideas, and services are marketed by developing an over-the-top float that travels down Fifth Avenue. For example, I was watching the parade with my father for the most part who pointed out the Mr. Peanut float representing planters. I could see how this brought out a pleasant emotion because that is his favorite snack.

I found the Macy's Day Parade as a really cool way for brands to market themselves through an American Tradition outlet, which sort of relates to the Super Bowl. However, Super Bowl advertising is a whole other level of marketing effort. By no means am I saying that marketers are only focused on the Macy's Day Parade to market their brands, however it is a great opportunity for brands to promote themselves during a happy, fun event, which could ultimately influence a positive emotion in their product, service, or idea.






No comments:

Post a Comment