Monday, December 14, 2015

A Farewell to Campaign Planning and Management Class

I can, without a single doubt, confidently say this was the most beneficial class of my college career at Western New England University. The tools and skills I have obtained will surely last a lifetime as I propel my career into the Integrated Marketing Communications world. I know in my heart this is what I want to do and it is very reassuring to enjoy a class that reflects what the real world is like out there, in terms of campaign planning.

As a senior in high school and a reflection of my retail background, I have always had interest on how products were sold to consumers. I was so interested on how the consumer mind works when going through decision-making. I knew that I wanted to take classes in college that would reflect the Public Relations side of things. I wanted to be in control of a brand's reputation, launch it into the public, and maintain crises. When I began my freshman year here at Western New England University, I realistically had no idea what my classes would teach me about Public Relations. At the time, all I knew was that I was a PR Concentration, but what does that mean? I remember sitting in my advisor's office spring semester of my freshman year, trying to decide what classes to take. He said I should try MK 200 Principles of Marketing to see if I'd like it. Honestly, taking that class was the best decision I had ever made for my college career.

During my MK 200 class, I found that PR/Publicity was one of the six promotional elements of the marketing mix. So, I wanted to take more classes to learn more. As my communications classes progressed, I was becoming frustrated. I was slowly realizing that these classes were not teaching my anything about PR. So, I took matter into my own hands and signed up for Buyer Behavior with Professor Costanzo. After that class, I visited his office, in which he asked me if I was taking his Promotional Strategy class, in which, at the time, I hadn't thought of taking. He strongly advised it and I did just so. Taking that class ended up being a great decision. In the Belch and Belch book, there is a whole chapter dedicated to PR/Publicity, and surely enough, I learned more about PR/Publicity in that one chapter than I had in my communications classes, which tends to be frustrating. At the end of my Junior Year, I knew I had taken enough marketing classes to be close to a minor. I looked at the marketing minor and that required classes I was not interested in. The only part of the marketing mix that I have a passion for is the promotional piece, that's it. I know I did not want to minor in marketing. It was then when I found the Integrated Marketing Communications minor, which is when I had my own "Ah-ha!" moment.

In order to complete that minor, the last required course was my recent Campaign Planning and Management course. The structure of this course was the most effective way to learn the ins and outs of promotional campaign planning. Not only did I brush up on marketing concepts that will stick with me, I was able to produce an entire promotional campaign for an actual client in Agawam, MA. I learned about thinking of your brand as a person, how to tell a story, collect the backstory, and so many more helpful tools.

I wish everyone who is majoring in Communications with a concentration in PR was aware of the value of an IMC minor. It truly is the best way to get a good grasp on the purpose of PR in integrated marketing communications. I am so happy that I have followed this path because as May soon approaches, I know I am ready to confidently begin my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment