Thursday, December 17, 2015

One Last Tip

As I study my last flashcard for my last exam tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. to end my final fall semester at Western New England University as an undergraduate, it is around that time in which I clean out my folders, notebooks, backpack, etc. Lose papers from exams, quizzes, worksheets are all over the place and I think to myself: "Do I really need this?" I found a lab exam from my Biology 101 course from the beginning of the semester. When I asked myself that question I said, "Nope!" and tossed it into the trash. However, there is an abundance of worksheets, notes, etc., that I will be keeping. What are those exactly? Every single thing given to me from my Campaign Planning and Management class.

I have this habit of the end of semesters when my brain is fried and I am emotionally drained where I have the urge to just toss everything out because of my eagerness to be done. However, there are some things that are worth keeping. I have the best example for this. So, in the spring of my junior year I took a really fun class called Promotional Design & Application. I became an expert using Microsoft Publisher while developing and creating advertisements for two fictitious products/services. I literally got to bring two ideas to life through graphic design skills! So fun! So my two products/services were a music and paint lounge called Acoustic Art. My other product was a dog biscuit line called For Pet's Sake! I got to create a logo, newspaper ads, magazine ads, billboards, etc. At the end of the semester, our professor suggested making a portfolio of all of our work, insisting that bringing it to an interview could help us stand out. However, I was in the class and had fun, but in all reality, I am a PR major and have more interest in the media relations and reputation side of marketing. So, I second guessed the decision to actually make a portfolio. I ended up doing so because who knows when it could come in handy. At that instance, I had the urge to just toss all of my work away because I never pictured myself applying or working at a creative advertising agency. It just is not my highest interest.

So, the other day I was at an interview for a digital marketing firm in Connecticut. When I was researching the company, I found they do a lot of working graphically designing content for websites for clients like public and private schools. As I was preparing my professional folder, I looked over to my desk. Lying there was my portfolio full of Acoustic Art and For Pet's Sake! advertisements. I thought to myself: It wouldn't necessarily hurt me if I brought it. So, I did. Nearing the end of the interview, I pulled out the portfolio and asked if they were interested in seeing any of my graphic design skills. They said yes and began flipping through it. As I studied their nonverbal cues, I could tell they were enjoying some of my work. It was at that moment, I thanked myself for choosing not to throw away my work. The coolest part? I actually got a phone call while writing this blog post. It was from the firm I interviewed with. They let me know that I got the internship!

Now, what I do not want you to get out of this is that I am telling you to become a hoarder. That is not what I am saying. All I am trying to get across is that you should think twice when throwing out schoolwork because you just might never know when it may help you in the long run. As for my Campaign Planning and Management class, I am for sure not throwing anything out. I have endless notes, worksheets, etc., filled with marketing concepts and tools. Who knows, fifteen years down the road I could need some information that might by lying within my orange notebook labeled "MK 422: Campaign Planning & Management."

No comments:

Post a Comment